All Things 611 is the Virginia Museum of Transportation’s (VMT) Point of Information on all things about our beloved asset the N&W Class J 611.
We are very grateful of our partnership with the North Carolina Transportation Museum (NCTM) in Spencer, North Carolina who is currently hosting the N&W Class J 611. While being permitted to use the Roundhouse at NCTM, we have a work weekend planned for the first weekend in February to do maintenance on the 611.
Specifically, the locomotive and tender work plan includes:
- Separate the locomotive and tender
- Prep tender for jacking
- Disassemble buffer and clean parts
- Clean stoker screw and elevator tube in cab
- Set locomotive back on roundhouse exhibit track
- Move tender to shop track for jacking
- Setup jacks
- Jack tender
- Roll truck out (rear)
- Install new wheel set
- Inspect & lubricate truck and center casting
- Lower tender onto truck
- Other items that may arise during this work plan
The estimated cost to VMT for the work done this weekend could be $55,000. The Virginia Museum of Transportation welcomes donations to offset these maintenance costs.
Thank you for your time and keep looking back here for continued updates on the 611!