Train Lovers’ Day
TRAIN LOVERS DAY was a huge success! Thank you to our guests, volunteers and everyone who participated and made the day fun!
- More than 1,800 guests attended this annual event!
- 1,100+ people took a train ride, sponsored by the Roanoke NRHS Mechanical Department.
- Our Museum Store had a very successful yard sale and many guests walked away with some great deals!
- Several tickets were sold to ride the Class J 611 during our 2017 excursion season. Click HERE to buy your ticket!
- More than 40 people toured the N&W Historical Society Archives, with a complimentary bus ride provided by Commonwealth Coach and Trolley Museum, Inc.
- The Roanoke Valley Model Engineers had more than 350 visitors.
- Kids loved making Valentine crafts, as well as decorating and mailing Valentine postcards then dropping them off at our Railway Post Office car.
- The Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs Hockey Team mascot “Diesel” entertained our guests!
- 4 of our guests won TICKETS to see the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs.
- Kids also enjoyed the Valentine Scavenger Hunt, racing trains and listening to train stories.
- Jennifer McDaid, Norfolk Southern Historical Archivist, provided Rail Artifacts from Norfolk & Western.
- Col. Bud Jeffries and Richard Scott provded steam locomotive information to guests about the Class A #1218, Class G-1 #6 and Class Y6a #2156, in our railyard.
- Local author Michael Abraham signed copies of his book Chasing the Powhatan Arrow.
- Our O Gauge Model Train layout was a big hit with the children, as always!
- The International Plastic Modelers’ Society, Roanoke Valley Chapter had a wonderful display.
- Isha and Katherine Devine painted hundreds of faces.
- Operation Lifesaver Videos played in our Safety Car Theatre. Thanks Joni Organ!
- Fun “selfie’ photos were taken by many.
- The DeLorean (a Back to the Future style car) was open for viewing, in our Auto Gallery.
- Kids and adults rode the Cactus Joe Choo Choo.
- Food and beverages were for sale by All Occasions Catering.
Safety Car Theatre: Now showing “Going Home”
“Going Home,” is a documentary produced by Norfolk Southern (1983) about the N&W Class J 611. Watch the 611 being built in the Roanoke Shops, restored for excursion service in 1982, and running under her own steam. Learn why this important engine is the Pride of Roanoke! (run time: 21 minutes, suitable for all ages.) Monday – Saturday showtimes: 11:15 am and 2:30 pm. Sunday showtimes: 2 pm. Showtimes subject to change. The safety car has a narrow hallway and is not wheelchair accessible.
Rail Yard Restoration Projects
The Museum has begun the cosmetic restoration of several pieces of rail equipment. The following are not on display, or may be intermittently closed, while work is in progress:
- N&W M-1 Railway Post Office Car
- Southern Pullman Sleeping Car “Lake Pearl” # 2422
- Pennsylvania Railroad GE GG-1 #4919
Roanoke Valley Model Engineers
The Roanoke Valley Model Engineers’ ON3, HO, and N scale layouts are located in the basement of the Museum. The entrance is on the back of the Museum just off the Rail Walk and around the corner from the Jupiter Rocket. To drive to the back of the Museum, take Salem Avenue to 1-1/2 Street at Warehouse Row, turn left and head under the 2nd Street bridge to the back of the Museum. The Club’s layouts are down the stairs. For more information…
International Plastic Modelers’ Society, Roanoke Valley Chapter
Second and Fourth Thursdays, 7pm
The Chapter hosts builds and business meetings each month, as well as compteing in area shows. The entrance is on the back of the Museum just off the Rail Walk and around the corner from the Jupiter Rocket. To drive to the back of the Museum, take Salem Avenue to 1-1/2 Street at Warehouse Row, turn left and head under the 2nd Street bridge to the back of the Museum. The meeting room is up the stairs. For information, email Tim Ward, Chapter President.
THE 3RD N&W CLASS J 611 EXCURSION SEASON IS UNDERWAY!
Class J 611 2017 Excursion schedule:
- April 22, 2017: The Roanoker, Greensboro, NC to Roanoke, VA
- April 23, 2017: The Roanoker, Greensboro, NC to Roanoke, VA
- May 6, 2017: The Cavalier, Lynchburg, VA, to Petersburg, VA
- May 7, 2017: The Cavalier, Lynchburg, VA, to Petersburg, VA
- May 27, 2017: The Powhatan Arrow, Roanoke, VA, to Lynchburg, VA
- May 27, 2017: The Pocahontas, Roanoke, VA, to Walton (Radford), VA
- May 28, 2017: The Powhatan Arrow, Roanoke, VA, to Lynchburg, VA
- May 28, 2017: The Pocahontas, Roanoke, VA, to Walton (Radford), VA
- May 29, 2017: The Powhatan Arrow, Roanoke, VA, to Lynchburg, VA
- May 29, 2017: The Pocahontas, Roanoke, VA, to Walton (Radford), VA
Click here for details, departure times and prices.