Cutty Sark was one of the last clippers used for transporting tea. A clipper ship is a type of sailing ship that is typically narrow and fast and used primarily for trade. Shortly after the construction of the Cutty Sark, the newly developed and more efficient steam ships began replacing clippers on trade routes.
The ship was sold to the Portuguese Ferreira and Company in 1895. Renamed Ferreira, it continued as a cargo ship until purchased by Englishman Wilfred Dowman in 1922. Dowman used it as a training ship in Cornwall, England. Cutty Sark was transferred to the Thames Nautical Training College in 1938 where it became a cadet training ship. In 1954, it was transferred to permanent dry dock in Greenwich, England, and is now on public display.
Cutty Sark is listed by National Historic Ships as part of the National Historic Fleet. It is one of three remaining clipper ships with an original wooden hull on an iron frame built in the nineteenth century.
The ship has been damaged by fire twice in recent years. The first fire occurred in May 2007 while the ship was undergoing conservation. It was restored and then reopened to the public on April 25, 2012. On October 19, 2014, it suffered minor damage in a smaller fire. It is open to the public.
Type: British Clipper Ship
Launched: November 22, 1869
Length: 212.5 feet
Speed: 17.5 knots
Built: Scott & Linton, Clyde, Scotland
Out of Service: December 1954
Dry Dock: Greenwich, England, UK
Loaned by Owen Reese