The American Motors Corporation (AMC) was founded as the result of a 1954 merger between the Nash-Kelvinator Corporation and the Hudson Motor Car Company. The AMC Ambassador, a full size car, was produced from 1958-1974. In 1965, automakers were shifting away from primarily fuel-efficient vehicles in favor of bigger and faster cars that were potentially profitable for the company.
In order to compete with the Detroit-based competition, fifth-generation Ambassadors took on a new look. Motor Trend magazine noticed, and they called it a “strikingly handsome automobile.” With a base price near $3,000, it easily competed with Chevrolets, Oldsmobiles, Plymouths, and Fords.
The DPL, or Diplomat, is the high end model of the Ambassador. It features many options like reclining bucket seats, an electric clock, air conditioning, lower body side trim, and cruise control. This car also has an all-transistor radio, two small throw pillows, hounds tooth fabric seats, and an automatic transmission. It was the first AMC Ambassador to drop the Rambler name.
- Manufactured: Kenosha, Wisconsin
- Generation: 5th
- Engine: 327 cu. in. V-8
- Horsepower: 250
- Transmission: 3-speed automatic
- Wheelbase: 116 in.
- Length: 200 in.
- Height: 54.5 in.
- Width: 74.5 in.
Exhibit donated by Ross Stokes