c. 1880

Velocipede Hand Car

Velocipedes, sometimes called hand cars, were used for track inspection, the transfer of work crews, and maintenance of telegraph lines. These vehicles could weigh between 120 to 1,000 pounds. Some of these vehicles were propelled by kerosene engines. A typical velocipede has an arm, called the walking beam, which moves like a seesaw, that operators push down and pull up in order to move the car. This model is hand pumped by long, twin handles. The center bar is the brake.

Donated in memory of James Carson Calhoun, telegraph operator on the Radford Division of the Norfolk & Western Railway