Skip to content
Research Car Description
- Manufacturer: Pullman
- Originally manufactured as a passenger car
- Other names: Pullman Car 2483, Southern R-21
- Manufactured in 1925
- In the mid-1960s the N&W converted it to a track geometry car to research and monitor track integrity.
- On-board computers measured track width, rail wear, banking and other track measurements.
- Half of the car was used for research and the other half contained living quarters for the crew, including a kitchen, dining area and pull down sleeping berths.
- Donated to the Museum by the Norfolk Southern Corporation.
- In 2007 it was loaned by the Museum back to Norfolk Southern, updated with new technological equipment and returned to service for 2 years.