Skip to content
- Length: 53 ft 4 in
- Height: 12 ft 11 in
- Width: 9 ft 8 in
- Weight: 120,000 lbs
- Pressure capacity: 1,000,000 pounds compression (buff or push) and 300,000 tension (pull)
- Manufactured by the N&W Roanoke Shops for N&W service
- Cost $38,160
- Donated to the Museum by the Norfolk & Western Railway Co.
Dynamometer Car Description
- Manufacturer: Norfolk and Western
- The dynamometer car carried equipment for measuring and recording drawbar pull, brake pipe pressure, and other data connected with locomotive operations and train haul conditions.
- It was a most useful tool for locomotive design as calculations on the drawing board could be verified in road service.
- Roadbed conditions, stations and topographical information were recorded by an operator stationed in a cupola. Information was recorded on a moving paper chart in ink.
- Dynamometer capacity: 1,000,000 lbs