Skip to content
- Manufacturer: St. Louis Car Company, 1945
- Number built: 5,000
- Capacity: 52-61 seats
- Maximum speed: 50 miles per hour (mph)
- Length: 46 feet
- Width: 9 feet
- Weight: 35,000 pounds (lbs.)
- Donated to the Museum in 1964 by O. Roy Chalk, CEO of DC Transit
PCC Streetcar Description
- Manufacturer: St. Louis Car Company
- 485 were operated by the Capital Transit and Washington DC Transit Authority between 1937 and 1962
- Powered by electricity with current picked up from a 3rd rail by a “plow.” The plow method of picking up current enabled the city to avoid having overhead wires near the city’s monuments.
- The PCC (President’s Conference Committee) was responsible for the design of this streetcar, convened during the depression as a means of reviving the local and inter-urban traction industry.
- The PCC design used high-tensile alloy steel and welding techniques that allowed for a radical departure from the noisy, slow-moving, heavy cars operated by traction companies for many years. Rubber-centered wheels absorbed much of the noise originating from contact with the rail. Improved suspension of the car body and rapid acceleration contributed to the success of these cars, and even helped to spur a revitalization of the streetcar operations.