Porter Rod Driven Description
- Manufacturer: H. K. Porter Company
- This locomotive is a switcher that moves railroad cars around in a rail yard. Switchers assemble trains before they leave the yard and disassemble trains after they come in. This process of assembling and disassembling is called switching.
- Built in 1944
- Last used by the Virginia Central Railroad in Fredericksburg, VA. The Virginia Central was chartered in in 1853 Fredericksburg, VA as the Fredericksburg and Gordonsville Railroad with a 5-foot track gauge. In 1876, the compnay reorganized as the Potomac, Fredericksburg and Piedmont Railroad and the track gauge was reduced to 3 feet. The line was opened to Orange, VA on February 26, 1877. The company was reorganized again in 1925 as the Orange & Fredericksburg. In 1926, the tracks were reduced to standard gauge. The Virginia Central name was adopted that same year.
- Donated to the Museum by the Virginia Central Railroad
- Believed to be one of only 28 remaining
- Weight: 45 tons
- Horsepower: 300. The engine has one traction motor mounted on each truck, so power has to be transmitted to the non-powered wheel sets by the use of side rods.